Starting a conversation at a business networking event, conference or even before a team meeting begins isn’t easy for many people – particularly for those who are more introverted.
Coming prepared with topics and conversation starters is always a good idea. Possible good topics for small talk include:
- Current Events
- Cultural Events
Here are five possible conversation starters:
- What brings you to this event?
- Is this is the first time you have attended (name of event)?
- How do you know (name)?
- Have you belonged to (the trade organization) for a while?
- (If you met before) What’s been happening with you/your business since we last met?
Topics to avoid discussing include:
- Controversial issues
- Cost of items
- Personal misfortunes
- Jokes/stories of questionable taste
- Your health/others’ health
- Bad mouthing the competition
- Social issues
Overall, the goal is to be interested in other people. It’s amazing how interesting you become when you do show interest in others!