I once heard the quote, “You are who you are based on the people you meet, and the books you read.”
Although there also is some DNA involved, I do agree that we are shaped by our interactions with others, and the reading we do.
That said, as an executive coach and speaker, I realize how often I share ideas and quotes from the books that I read with my audiences.
I am frequently asked for book recommendations, in addition to the ones that I have written.
Here is a list of books that have made a difference to me (in no special order):
- Blink, Malcolm Gladwell
- What Got You Here Won't Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith and Mark Reiter
- Pivot, Alan R. Zimmerman
- Jacked Up, Bill Lane
- The One Thing You Need To Know, Marcus Buckingham (or anything else by him)
- The 4-Hour Workweek, Timothy Ferriss
- The Dip, Seth Godin (or anything else by him)
- Enlightened Leadership, Ed Oakley and Doug Krug
- The Fred Factor, Mark Sanborn
- Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell
- The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz
I would love to get your recommendations, too, so I can check them out, and pass them on! Post a reply here, or e-mail me – firstname.lastname@example.org.